http://pinterest.com/pin/132996995215833209/

Lunes, Setyembre 12, 2011

The Poor Heredera


I am a proud “heredera ”, yes I am...... by this, I don’t mean that I am "heiress" to hectares and hectares of land. My father who died in January 2007 left me with a piece of land located in  the Vibrant City. Happy? Of course, very happy indeed because there wouldn’t be any need to buy another house and lot for my growing family anymore ( besides, I can't afford to buy!) and I am already used to the environment having lived in this city since I was 7 years old. FYI, I am already 41 years old now, married with 5 children and this is where my  5 children were born and raised.  And I am just happy that we’re living decently. At least it's not very obvious that we're poor because we have a decent roof over our heads.  But the happiness and contentment ended and were replaced by sleepless nights and anxiety.  

“Paping” (that’s what I used to call my father),  did not inform me that he had not been paying the necessary taxes since 1986 (Oh yes, since I was in high school) and much to my surprise, I didn't know that the property has been auctioned last May 2006 at eighteen thousand pesos.I didn't receive any notice from the Municipality, NOT EVEN ONCE! It was only last October 8, 2007 when somebody from the municipality came over and advise us to call the City Treasurer's office, that I was able to discover the auction of our property. I was so disheartened to find out that we have to repurchase our property but for the sake of my children, I was willing to redeem it at reasonable rate.


I understood very well that I have to buy back our property and because it was auctioned at eighteen thousand pesos, I offered the bidder Mr. Cat_l_s  (of Lav _ r _ e Realty) thirty five thousand pesos at first but he declined so I offered forty thousand pesos but he was just not satisfied with my offer. He told me that they can give me fifty thousand pesos to leave the property or I have to pay 50% of the market value of the land and we’re talking about a 189 square meter property and I just can't afford to pay more than what I had offered him. I even cried and begged him to accept my offer for the sake of my family but he just told me, "No amount of tears can change my mind. Marami kami " (referring to his business associates in realty  business). I felt so humiliated that I have to beg for our own property but I was carried away by my emotions, of pity for my five children and the fear for their future. I don't have any more asset. This is the only one I've got, I am just a simple person who live within the family's meager income while depending so much on God's grace and provision everyday.

 Since I was not given any notice from the very start or informed of the said auction, and since I am a registered voter and a pure blooded Filipino citizen, I have the guts..at least,the nerve to exercise my right and to ask for help!. Oh well, I just thought that it was payback time so perhaps I could ask help from our mayor. Besides I have have been a very loyal supporter and a believer of his advocacy; I have campaigned for him, and even became a volunteer poll watcher for two consecutive elections so I figured out it's time that I would benefit. I made an appeal to our City mayor to grant me an extension to pay the bid price at reasonable rate and to give me an ample pay back grace period. He responded and told me he will try to come up with a solution because my case is complicated since it is already in the hands of private individuals. To make the long story short, the city’s effort of giving back our property failed so our Mayor suggested that I file a court case. I thought that was a joke because he knew about my financial condition or I thought…… is he going to pay for the expenses? After all, it was his administration that’s responsible for the unlawful auction of our property…never mind; I still had an option then….


I then thought of writing to senators, i thought maybe it was about time to re compensate my endless support to the leaders I have voted and trusted?  So I sent emails to 14 senators, both men and lady senators, some celebrity senators who are known to help showbiz people but NONE of them responded! No one! ZERO! Nobody helped me, there was nobody who gave attention!  I figured out maybe, because I was no celebrity or maybe because I'm poor or maybe (just maybe) because it wasn't election time?

I felt bitter because I have always voted for them every election time but no one gave me attention and consideration. At the back of my mind, I supposed those politicians would give you favor if they could get something back. Maybe, that's how it is. Yes, they're doing it for "ganda" and "pogi" points but when it comes to problems like this one,they would choose whom to help...Who am I compared to the popular celebrities who were shining,shivering, splendid during their campaigns? Who am I compared to those popular TV/ movie personalities? I am simply, Aling Franing, HEREDERA of a piece of land and indebtedness…. ordinary "Juana dela Cruz" fighting and hoping for help and justice, not only for myself but for my loved ones.

Did I pursue the case?Oh yes! With the PAO (Public Attorney's Office) lawyers assisting me but they were reluctant to help me at first because according to them I have a property and I am not a pauper and therefore I should be getting a very good (meaning, expensive) lawyer. Well, I consulted one.-  an "abogado de campanillawho quoted a very high lawyer's fee, something i couldn't afford so I was compelled to go back to PAO and request (more like begging) for a lawyer who could help me and I was able to get one (they're left with no choice and I had no choice too). This  is the case of annulment of tax foreclosure sale.

Am I happy now? No! Why, because the game is not over yet. I haven't won yet. I figured out a few lessons in this battle- lessons I have learned the hard way. 
  • Lesson #1: to pay taxes diligently. Don't leave your loved ones debts to pay. 
  • Lesson # 2: to be very wise in voting for leaders in this country or DON’T VOTE AT ALL!; Honestly, I am still vacillating---- to vote or not to vote for the next election. Been exercising my right to vote since I was 18 but now, it seems useless and a waste of time.
  • Lesson # 3: Earn  a lot of money so you would always have a choice – whether to get a de campanilla lawyer or opt for a PAO lawyer who , instead of helping you (not all PAO lawyers, though!), they discourage you;well, let's understand them- they already have so many cases in their plate and they couldn't bear to take more. 
  • And last,  lesson # 4: Don't be mean especially to  the less fortunate. Look at the lucky bidder from Lav _ r _ e Realty ....tsk...tsk... Does he know that life is like a wheel? Let's not forget that it keeps on turning- sometimes you're up ( Oh, lucky you!) but sometimes you're down because life is so uncertain.
Understand that life here on earth is just temporary and everything that we do has an eternal significance. Let's ask ourselves if the things we do now will matter 100 years from now? Maybe It's about time we store up riches in heaven, not here on earth! In heaven, where our treasures can't be destroyed by moths and rust and where thieves do not break in and steal. Isn't it good to be heir to our Heavenly Father's TRUE RICHES in heaven? 

For now,I am Aling Franing, the poor heir, but definitely , will not remain poor "heredera" !Besides, I know I am heiress to the King of Kings' heavenly treasures!

1 komento: